Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Want to borrow a Jack?

I think way too much. Be it imagining places I want to visit or having conversation with thousands of people inside my head. I can spend hours thinking, specially the latter one. Having conversations with the people I am angry with, my ex, my friends, practically anyone and everyone. I play the role of all the characters in my conversation. Come up with some senseless conclusion, get frustrated and sleep on it. I am sure most us do that too. Making up imaginary conversation. But just a few days back I read this article in a very old copy of Reader’s digest titled ‘Want to borrow a jack?’ And the moment I read it, I wanted to share it. It’s a short story which I am pretty sure everyone can relate to.
Once, a fellow was speeding down a country road late at night and bang! Went a Tyre. He got out and looked and realized he had no jack. Then he said to himself. Well, I’ll just walk down to the nearest farmhouse and borrow a jack! He saw a light in a distance and said, Well, I am in luck: the farmer’ awake. I’ll just knock on the door and say I’m in trouble; would you please lend me a jack? And he’ll say, why, of course-but bring it back.
He walked on a little farther and the light went out so he said to himself, ‘now he’s gone to bed and he’ll be annoyed because I am bothering him-so he’ll probable want some money for his jack. And I’ll say, all right, it isn’t very neighbourly- but I’ll give you ten cents’. And he’ll say, ‘do you think you can get me out the bed in the middle of the night and then offer me ten cents? Give me 50 cents or get yourself a jack somewhere else. By this time the fellow had worked himself to lather. He turned into the gate and muttered, fifty cents! Alright, I’ll give you 50 cents. But no more! A poor devil has an accident and all he needs is a jack. You probably won’t let me have one no matter what I give you. That’s the kind of chap you are.
Which brought him up to the door and he knocked-loudly, angrily. The farmer stuck his head out his head out of the window above the door and shouted down ‘who’s there?’ ’ what do you want?’ The fellow stopped pounding on the door and yelled up, ‘you and your damn jack! You know what you can do with it!
After a short laugh, I was totally nodding my head thinking ‘Yes, I do that all the times’. Yell or demand attention from friends simply because I have imagined that they are not interested talking to me anymore. Do nasty things to people just because I have imagined that they were conspiring against me. I am sure this could have led to wars in earlier time.
Moral of the story- Whenever your brain runs too much, hold your horses and remember to tell yourself ‘WANT TO BORROW A JACK?’

6 comments:

  1. gud 1 padosan
    specially d moral of d story....
    so don't let your horses run wild.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story about pessimism i ve read this story in my 9th standard english book.....
    Nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Do you happen to know what month and year this was printed in RD? I'm trying to find it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If so...I may never find my way back to this post - but my email address is helen@nmsales.net Many thanks!

      Delete